Contact Now
view our practice areas
The National Top 40 Under 40 Trail Lawyers Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Palm Beach County Hispanic Bar Association PACS Association Palm Beach Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Puerto Rican/Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

Expired Registration

Expired Registration Law and Penalties

Florida Statute §320.07 prohibits the operation of a motor vehicle with an expired registration. Any person driving with an expired registration of 6 months or less commits a traffic infraction. For a driver whose license has been expired for more than 6 months, the violation is considered a traffic infraction for the first offense and a second degree misdemeanor for a second or subsequent offense. A criminal charge of Expired Registration subjects the accused to a maximum sentence of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. The takeaway is that even a seemingly small traffic matter can escalate into a crime if you consistently disregard it.

How to Renew Your Registration

In most instances, you may renew your motor vehicle registration online with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (the DMV). You can go to and provide your personal information, the information on your motor vehicle, and a credit card. You can renew your registration for one or two years. If the online system cannot verify a vehicle’s insurance, or if the registration has already expired, the driver may have to go to the DMV in person. (If you have ever gone to the DMV before, you know this is something to try to avoid!)

Drivers using the online system should receive their registration in the mail within 7-10 business days. In the meantime, drivers can request a receipt by email that can be used until the registration arrives.

Another remote method of renewing your registration is through the mobile app, MyFlorida. The process and requirements for registration renewal on the app are similar to that of the online portal.

The last option for renewing your registration is the old school way – renewing at any Florida DMV office. We recommend staying away from this option due to long wait times.

What Happens with an Expired Registration Charge

If you are charged criminally with Expired Registration (also known as Expired Tag), you must attend court to address your case. After the police officer issues you a citation on scene, he will submit a copy of the citation to the clerk of courts to initiate a criminal case. The clerk’s office will then mail you a Notice of Hearing for arraignment (formal reading of the charges). After arraignment, you may attend a series of hearings while you hire a lawyer, review the evidence, consider the plea offer, and decide how to proceed. Ultimately, you will need to decide whether you want to resolve the case without a trial or make the prosecution prove their case against you.

Casanova Law Can Represent You in Your Expired Registration Case

Lourdes Casanova, Founding Attorney of Casanova Law

Our Wellington law firm boasts a founding attorney with several years of criminal law experience. Attorney Lourdes Casanova is a former prosecutor for Palm Beach County who has litigated thousands of criminal traffic cases, including Expired Registration. We will review the evidence for legal, factual and procedural errors. We will advise you of your rights and your options. We will handle the court hearings, negotiations, and correspondence on your behalf. Our goal is to get your case dismissed.

Call us today for superior representation on your Expired Registration case.

(561) 236-5340

Contact us today

Bold labels are required.

    By appointment only

    850 NW Federal Highway
    Stuart, FL 34994

    Map & Directions

    8461 Lake Worth Road
    Suite 441
    Lake Worth, FL 33467

    Map & Directions

    By appointment only

    2101 Vista Parkway
    West Palm Beach, FL 33411

    Map & Directions

    Review Us